Thursday, May 5, 2022

5. How can your major make the world a better place?

Hello bloggers, I hope you are well. As you could read in the title I will talk about how I can make the world a better place through my major, how I see myself in the process and how my profession benefits the world. 

As I told you in previous blogs, I am studying dentistry, specifically in my second year at the University of Chile. Dentistry is the medical area dedicated to the study of everything related to the stogmatic apparatus, which is formed by the set of organs and tissues of the oral cavity, and in some areas of the skull, neck and face. This discipline is responsible for protecting people's oral health, preventing and treating oral diseases. The main oral ailments, such as caries, periodontal pathologies or tooth loss, can be prevented by constantly maintaining an adequate routine and oral hygiene and visiting the dentist regularly. 

In this process I hope to become a dental surgeon with the necessary knowledge, skills and competencies to contribute to the population that needs it, thus improving their quality of life, especially the most vulnerable people. Once I get my degree I hope to be able to work in the public sector and also specialize in orthodontics (which is what I like the most so far, we'll see if that holds up along the way haha).I hope to be a professional that people can trust, in having a transversal and not vertical treatment, making the patient participate in their own treatment and also making the technical language a bit more flexible so that the patient understands what I am explaining. And something relevant to note is that beyond a patient suffering from a certain disease, there is a person who is suffering.

The role that the dentist plays in society is extremely important, since as a health professional he is present during all the stages of the human being. The dentist, in addition to diagnosing and treating patients with oral ailments or diseases, has an important role in prevention, where it is important to know and control the social determinants of health. Unfortunately, patients associate going to the dentist when the ailment is unavoidable or in other words, when, for example, the disease such as caries or periodontitis are in very advanced stages. Therefore, it is essential that we as future professionals in the health area reinforce the concepts of prevention and health promotion, which are usually relegated.

I hope you have enjoyed this blog, take care of yourselves and I hope you have a great weekend with your mothers celebrating their day.


CUAL ES LA DIFERENCIA ENTRE UN DENTISTA Y UN ODONTOLOGO | Web


6 comments:

  1. The role of prevention is the most important one, and i'm fully agree that we as dentists need to be aware of the social determinants of oral health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dentist work is very important to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the profile you want to have as dentist is so importan to help peolple, because if they can't trust on you and you have a vertical treatment with them maybe they'll not be able to learn about oral health and they will not change their bad habits so it will be a temporary solution

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will definitely be a great dentist! I love your vision of the patient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, we must remember that more than a patient with a problem we are caring for a person who suffers, many times that humanitarian part of career is forgotten and we begin to forget that we are working with people, without a doubt you will be an agent of change!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the intentions you have as a future dentist, because more than seeing people as patients, you seek to establish a relationship where they can trust you and guide them in their treatment, which is very nice of you.

    ReplyDelete

5. Changes to my study programme

Hello everyone!!, I hope you are well and that this end of the semester is not being so difficult for each of you. As you can see in the tit...