Thursday, April 14, 2022

2. Why did I choose my major?

As a child I was always interested in the health area, therefore I adopted the role of doctor, nurse, dentist and even veterinary doctor when I played with my friends or with my family. However, I remember that the two careers that I liked the most were medicine and veterinary medicine. In fact, I remember as if it were yesterday that I used to play attend to my grandmother in a doctor's office with a toy briefcase to carry out a general health check. But, on the other hand, since I can remember I have always had a great love for animals and since I also liked the area of health, I felt that the best option for me was to be a veterinarian. In fact, my family had assumed that when I grew up I would study the last career mentioned.

During school, I kept thinking that I wanted to study something related to health, but I wasn't sure what specifically. So, what I did one day was establish the advantages and disadvantages of the two options that I wanted the most, which at that time was medicine or veterinary medicine. Finally, I decided on medicine because I know that I would not be able to treat animals and see them suffer, it really is heartbreaking for me and I know that at various times during the course, from what I find out, you have to be faced with this type of situation. Then, when they gave me the scores from the PSU at that time, I decided to apply to college at the Catholic University and to the baccalaureate academic program at the University of Chile so that through this route I could enter to study medicine. 

Finally, I was selected in baccalaureate academic program at the University of Chile, which consists of two years. At the end of the first year we had to apply for the vacancies that interested us, which were two. In my case, I put medicine as the first option and dentistry as the second option. As you can imagine, I was selected in the dentistry quota, therefore I was in the first year of this career when I was in my second year of the program. To be honest, it was not easy to transfer from this program to the official career, but as they say, nothing is impossible and I am currently in my second year of dentistry. 

Honestly, at first I was not very sure about studying this career, however I am very glad to have given myself the opportunity to learn about this beautiful career and I am happy studying it. In addition, this path has given me the pleasure of meeting wonderful people, who have been a fundamental support during the most difficult moments of the university and I know that I can count on them for anything.


A picture of one of the face-to-face practical activities from last year.


A picture of the dental clinic located in the dental school. 

8 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how hard it was to run two careers at the same time! great that you are happy studying the career :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun activity you did with your grandmother and how difficult to be in the baccalaureate program and in dentistry, I admire you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked the career, it must have been a very difficult choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow your story is so inspiring! I studied the first year of the program so I can imagine how difficult it was. I'm glad you like the career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never imagined that one of your options would be to be a veterinarian, it's too different!!! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Medicine was also my first choice and dentistry was my second.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How good that you were able to find the beauty of dentistry and you are happy with your decision!

    ReplyDelete

5. Changes to my study programme

Hello everyone!!, I hope you are well and that this end of the semester is not being so difficult for each of you. As you can see in the tit...